Recipes for a Home Luau
By: Kathleen A. Hart, Esq.
This summer simply went by and I am sad to say, we did not dine out much. Likely a combination of the weather, vacation and my husband’s broken foot. Long story, moral is don’t kick a car while wearing crocs as it does not end well. However, I did manage to put together a small sixtieth birthday for the big guy for a few friends and family. Here are some of the recipes I served, and I hope you enjoy!
John’s Birthday Luau Menu
Sweet & Sour Meatballs
1.5 pounds ground beef
¼ cup breadcrumbs
¼ cup gojuchang (you can find in Asian aisle of supermarket)
¼ cup finely chopped onion
2 teaspoons minced garlic
2 teaspoons ginger
¾ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon pepper
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup water
½ cup ketchup
¼ cup hoisin sauce
½ cup cider vinegar
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons cornstarch
- For meatballs, mix all ingredients together in a bowl. Shape mixture into one inch diameter balls and place on baking sheet.
- After all have been made, place the sheet in freezer, covered in plastic until next day.
- Make sauce by mixing all ingredients in a medium bowl until smooth.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place meatballs in a baking dish. Pour sauce over the meatballs.
- Bake about 35 minutes until meatballs are done and sauce is bubbly.
Oven Cooked Kahlua Pork
3 -5-pound pork butt, trimmed and tied so will cook evenly
4 tablespoons minced garlic (about 12 cloves)
2-3 tablespoons minced ginger or ginger paste (you can find in produce aisle in a tube)
2 tablespoons sea salt
2 tablespoons liquid smoke
Package of banana leaves
- Mix garlic, ginger, salt and liquid smoke to make a paste. Rub paste all over the pork butt until fully covered.
- Wrap pork up tightly in saran wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- When ready to cook, preheat oven to 225 degrees.
- Remove saran wrap and rewrap the pork in the banana leaves. Place wrapped meat in roasting pan and cover with aluminum foil.
- Cook the pork butt for 8 to 9 hours.
- Remove pan from oven and let rest for about 20 minutes, still covered.
- Take meat from pan and skim fat from the pan juices.
- Place meat back in pan, unwrap and untie. Shred meat with two forks
- Mix meat, juices and a squeeze of Hawaiian BBQ sauce and serve on soft rolls.
2 cups jasmine rice
1 can coconut milk
1.5 cups water (or fill can of coconut milk with water and use as well)
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon sugar
1 red pepper diced
1yellow pepper diced
½ cup chopped fresh pineapple
- in a mesh sieve, rinse dry rice in cold water until it runs clear.
- Place drained rice in a pot.
- Add coconut milk, water, salt, and sugar.
- Bring mixture to boil over high heat. Once it starts to boil, turn heat down to low, cover and cook about 20 minutes.
- While the rice is cooking, sauté peppers in a frying pan until soft but color remains.
- Uncover rice and cook 5 minutes longer.
- Once cooked, mix rice, peppers and pineapple together and serve in festive bowl.
For dessert, serve a bowl of fresh, tropical fruit and your favorite yellow cake topped with grilled pineapple and whipped cream to complete the theme.